Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sounding Off

I'm done.

I'm done with the constant assumptions that you simply must have 20 children to homeschool.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying large families can't homeschool either. I think they're wonderful.

But I'm sick and tired of having the fact that I only have one child thrown in my face by people who just aren't thinking.

He's 8. I've been trying to get pregnant for 7 years. Clearly this isn't MY timing we're dealing with now - it's GOD'S.

If I hear one more time "save your curriculum in case you get pregnant" I might scream. Or better yet, "Maybe if you get rid of all of it, you'll get pregnant."

If I hear one more person come to me and say they're expecting and how on earth are they going to manage it and what were they thinking getting pregnant again I'm going to scream. I'd LOVE to have your problem. Please, pass your fertility onto me.

If I hear one more parent agonizing over how difficult it is to have so many or how awful their children are or how impossible it is to deal with the constant bickering I'm going to explode. Try NEVER having a sibling to fight with. Never having the opportunity to play a prank on your sister or have your brother stand up for you.

It's a lonely existence. I'd know. I was an only child until I turned 12 and in many, many ways I still am.

I'm so sick and tired of the garbage.

So ONCE AND FOR ALL:

Yes, you can successfully homeschool an only child.
Yes, you can have a classroom of 1 and still manage to learn everything that needs to be taught.
Yes, you can create an environment of love and beauty without 1, 2, or 10 siblings to share it with.

Enough already. Back off of me and my son.

3 comments:

  1. We too are "underachievers" in the homeschool world with 2 children. God never blessed us with more and He is sovereign in all things. Many of our friends have 10+ children (who we LOVE to have over) but people do seem to think that we have less of a homeschool experience. If we need more people for a project, we invite them over. Each of us has to live the life God has given us and encourage/support the others He places in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that you have suffered.
    Truly, you have borne a very heavy cross.
    May the Lord comfort you and give you hope in knowing that whatever your particular state in life or family dynamic is at this moment...it is perfect...because you have entrusted it to HIM and He has allowed it according to His plan.
    You have a beautiful family and your son is blessed.
    You are "mother" to sooooooooooooo many children in this world Heather for you minister to hurting families and their little ones all over the world.
    I wish you peace, contentment, and MUCH JOY in your family...just as it is...right now:) xo

    ReplyDelete